Our team, which is led by former “Magic Circle” litigators, is experienced in all forms of dispute resolution from commercial litigation in the civil courts to international and domestic arbitrations to sports governing body proceedings.
We have considerable experience acting for high profile clients across the sports, fashion and media sectors on a wide range of contentious matters, from urgent injunctive relief through to multi-million pound contractual, sports rights and agency disputes and from High Court libel proceedings to intellectual property infringement actions. We conduct advocacy on behalf of clients and also have close relationships with some of the leading Counsel in our industries.
In the sports industry, we believe that our familiarity with the processes adopted by many sports governing bodies, combined with our in-depth knowledge of the industry more broadly, enable us to offer real expertise in this sector.
We regularly advise on disputes concerning the application and interpretation of sport governing body rules, as well as the enforcement of those rules, before both first instance panels and the Court of Arbitration for Sport and other appeal bodies. We have recently notably been involved in a number of high profile integrity cases such as the Kaneria and Westfield cricket corruption cases, anti-doping proceedings and prosecutions under the Tennis Anti-Corruption Program, including the case which resulted in the first life ban in tennis. One of our solicitors was also formerly the lead lawyer on integrity and anti-doping at London 2012.
- Advising the governing bodies of tennis on the defence of appeals before the Court of Arbitration for Sport by Kollerer and Krotiouk against the first instance life bans imposed on the players for breaches of the Tennis Anti-Corruption Program.
- Advising the England and Wales Cricket Board on its successful prosecution of Danish Kaneria for spot-fixing and its successful defence of appeals before the appeal panel and the Commercial Court.
- Advising a former England football manager on a multi-million pound High Court negligence and breach of duty claim against his former financial advisor, including urgent injunctive relief and associated committal proceedings.
- Advising a leading international model agency on a breach of contract and employment dispute in the High Court, including a successful action for injunctive relief.
- Advising a senior sports executive on the defence of High Court libel proceedings.
- Advising a sports governing body (and coordinating local counsel) on a contract dispute with a kit manufacturer in the Dutch courts.
- Advising a sports governing body on a negligence claim by an official based on an on-field incident.
- Advising a leading golfer, with local counsel, on a contract dispute with a former sponsor in the courts in California.
- Advising governing bodies and sportspeople on selection and licence related disputes, including a recent successful challenge to a governing body’s refusal to grant a licence.
- Advising a sports governing body on the prosecution of cases under its anti-doping rules.
- Advising an international golf brand on a “commercial agency/representative” dispute in the Commercial Court in Vienna, Austria.
- Advising footballers, managers, clubs and agents in connection with the FA Agents Regulations and Disciplinary Rules.
For more information on our non-contentious Regulatory, Governance and Risk Management experience click here.