Onside Law is a leading media law firm recognised for its expertise in the field by the leading directories. According to the Legal 500 Onside Law is known for “sound practical advice” in the media sector where it provides “genuine added value”. In particular “onside law has an excellent market reputation advising TV personalities.”
Our broad practice advises on all legal disciplines impacting the media sector and we are particularly well known for our work in music, television and film.
We advise on a broad range of media-related matters including:
- Endorsements and representation
- Broadcasting and production
- Digital media and technology
- Merchandising, licensing and franchising
- Brand management and protection (including trademarks, copyright, design rights)
- Advertising, promotion and marketing
- Litigation, arbitration, mediation and expert determination
- Company set-up
- Investment agreements (including SEIS and EIS investments)
- Shareholders agreements and joint ventures
- Acquisitions and disposals and management buy-outs
- Advising on all rights associated with the Parkinson talk show archives dating from the early seventies to 2008 and various co production and distribution agreements with the BBC and Granada Media.
- Advising on all aspects of Heston Blumenthal’s television career including exclusive broadcasting arrangements with Channel 4, production and finance contracts for the series “Mission Impossible”, “Big Chef takes on Little Chef” and “Feast” and co-production and distribution agreements for “Fantastical Foods” and numerous presenting and endorsement opportunities.
- Advising on presentation and participation agreements for Clare Balding and Jake Humphrey with BT Sport and various celebrities involved in shows including “Dancing on Ice”, Parkinson, “I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here” and “Only Fools and Horses”.
- Advising Universal Music Arts and Entertainment on all aspects of the production and subsequent distribution of a made-for-television classical concert broadcast live from Moscow’s Red Square featuring opera stars, Anna Netrebko and Dmitri Hvorostovsky.
- Advising clients including the England and Wales Cricket Board and the Lawn Tennis Association on various information technology matters including app and website development, hosting and application support.
- Advising Ladbrokes on various digital media collaborations and its social media activity.
- Advising the French Tennis Federation/Roland Garros on its long-term television deal with NBC for the French Open.
- Advising British Athletics on its broadcast agreements with Channel 4 and the BBC.
- Advising the band Atomic Kitten on representation matters, commercial agreements and disputes.
- Advising performers including Dame Kiri Te Kanawa, Elaine Paige, Jose Carreras and Bryn Terfel on protecting their rights, licensing, publishing and performing agreements.
- Advising the Estate of Erich Segal on all matters relating to various feature films, including Love Story, the film that “saved” Paramount Pictures.
- Advising Engage Sports Media on agreements for the production and distribution of various films and documentaries relating to various sporting brands.
- Advising an Oscar winning screen writer on copyright infringement and passing off claims against Warner Bros.
- Advising a leading UK production company on various pre-production agreements.