Onside Law specialises in advising on both pioneering and traditional corporate transactions in the sport, media and fashion industries, as well as in other entrepreneurial sectors.
Our corporate team combines “magic circle” legal ability with genuine industry expertise. Our lawyers have not only trained and practised with leading corporate firms such as Clifford Chance and Allen & Overy, but also have experience of acting as in-house counsel for entities such as IMG, the Rugby Football Union and the Lawn Tennis Association. At onside law, our corporate lawyers act on a daily basis on transactions from within our specialist industry sectors.
The core corporate team is supported by experts from onside law in the following legal fields: commercial, employment, intellectual property, real estate, environment, tax and regulation.
Our approach is to combine our technical ability with a commercially astute, personal and efficient service allied to the benefits of a comprehensive regulatory understanding of our industry sectors and the key players within it. We also have close relationships with a wide range of potential investors, purchasers and commercial advisers within these industries, whose experience and resources can be drawn upon as appropriate.
We advise on every type of private company matter including:
- Fund-raising documentation
- Investment agreements
- SEIS and EIS investments
- Shareholders agreements
- Acquisitions and disposals
- Management buy-outs
- Complex joint ventures
- Corporate restructuring
- Lending arrangements and security
- Due diligence exercises (whether on a domestic or cross border basis)
- Corporate aspects of sporting events
- Corporate governance and regulation
- Advising HRH Prince Abdullah bin Mosaad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, the grandson of the founder of Saudi Arabia, on his acquisition of a 50% equity stake in Sheffield United Football Club.
- Advising the leading UK mass participation sports events company, Participate Sport (now called Human Race Group) on the introduction of second and third round funding from VCT and EIS funds to facilitate the acquisition of mass participation sports event company, Human Race.
- Advising the owners of Human Race Group on the sale of their mass participation sports business to the French family owned company, Amaury Sport Organisation (the owners of the Tour de France).
- Advising esports company, Gfinity PLC, on early stage fundraisings; the structuring of its franchise tournaments and leagues known as the Elite Series; the purchase of esports companies and teams and the franchising of the concept internationally.
- Advising Wentworth Club on the implementation of a new membership structure by the introduction of a debenture scheme.
- Advising a sports media production team on its management buy-out of a UK sports media business.
- Advising an offshore property development company on a multi-million dollar deal with a Russian investment fund for the acquisition and development of land for a sport and leisure resort on the Caribbean island of Grenada.
- Advising a privately owned investment group on a combination of a share and asset acquisition of the 3-D signage sports branding business from IMG and the patent owners.
- Advising a motorsports promoter and its Latin American licensee on the restructuring of the ownership of racing cars of its Brazilian licensee for the GTO race series in Brazil.
- Advising the PGA European Tour on a joint venture with the Asian Tour and related co-sanctioning of European and Asian Tour Events.
- Advising a leading UK model agency on a number of share and asset acquisitions of other model agencies.
- Advising the England and Wales Cricket Board on the restructuring of its funding and lending arrangements with various first class counties.
- Advising the Ryder Cup on the procurement of financial and event related guarantees from governments and private entities in connection with the Ryder Cup 2018.
We also regularly advise on Regulatory, Compliance and Governance matters; for more information about our relevant experience please click here.