We have vast experience advising on the drafting, interpretation and application of rules and regulations and on best practice in respect of corporate governance. Our team comprises individuals who are industry-recognised leading experts in the regulation and governance of sport and our other specialist sectors.
We regularly draft, and advise on, sports governing body rules and regulations across a wide range of matters, from conduct and disciplinary related issues to selection policies. We have been closely involved in the development of entrance criteria for agents in one sport, as well as advising on compliance with agent regulations across other sports. We also advise private entities on the relevant rules and regulatory frameworks for staging sports events.
We advise a variety of entities, such as sports governing bodies, private companies and individuals on compliance and governance best practice. This includes advising on compliance with financial regulations, such as the UEFA, Premier League and Football League Financial Fair Play rules. We also have experience advising on governance requirements that apply equally to international and national entities.
We advise on a wide range of regulatory, governance and risk management matters and our areas of expertise include:
- Sports governing body rules and regulations
- Disciplinary matters
- Risk management
- Agents regulations
- Club licensing
- Advising the England and Wales Cricket Board on all aspects of their regulations, including player registration, England qualification, financial, fit and proper person test, agent registration, anti-doping, immigration/GBE issues and team salary payments.
- Advising the Rugby Football Union, Welsh Rugby Union and the European Tour on a range of regulatory matters.
- Advising the British Olympic Association on the Team GB athlete participation agreement for London 2012.
- Advising various sports governing bodies on their anti-corruption rules.
- Drafting and advising on rules and regulations for privately owned global events in a number of sports, including motorsport and golf, and on licensing arrangements with international federations.
- Advising a sports governing body on the drafting and implementation of its recreational drugs policy.
- Advising shareholders and directors of various football clubs on regulatory compliance, fit and proper person and owners’ and directors’ tests, third party ownership interests in football and the football creditors rule.
- Advising on the establishment and structure of a number of overseas funds whose investment focus is in clubs, players, academies, new technology and nutrition.
- Advising a sporting charity on data protection obligations, in particular in the context of collecting information about subscribers to its website.
- Advising on the Rules of Amateur Status in golf, including a not-for-profit organisation on the support and development of amateur golfers with specific reference to the R&A Rules, and various management companies regarding the signing of golfers.
For more information on our contentious Regulatory, Compliance and Governance experience click here.