26 Oct 21
Onside Law is widely recognised as one of the UK’s top sports law firms. Our clients are some of the biggest names in sport and media, including many national and international governing bodies, broadcasters, clubs, sponsors, investors, entrepreneurs, digital media and technology companies and high-profile athletes.
Our business is thriving and is increasingly busy and we are seeking to bolster our team with a mid to senior level associate who has experience advising on employment matters. Experience in contentious matters is important and any non-contentious experience is helpful.
The role will have the following core focus:
- Leading on the provision of the firm’s employment advice clients in the sports and media industry on contentious and non-contentious matters.
- Advice to employees and employers.
- Building an employment team and practice.
What experience is required?
We are looking for a mid-senior level lawyer from a leading national or international law firm and/or within a relevant in-house role. You should have excellent technical skills and experience of advising on the types of matters noted above. Experience in, or knowledge and understanding of, the sports and media industries. Experience in the sports and media sector is not a pre-requisite, but we expect you to display an understanding of the sector and a demonstrable desire to work in it. A following would be helpful but not essential.
What skills and attributes are expected?
- Onside Law is renowned for advising in a way that is practical and commercial and supports our clients’ strategic objectives without compromising legal acumen or attention to detail. We expect candidates to demonstrate a desire and ability to advise in this way.
- Excellent organisational skills, particularly in relation to being able to efficiently manage and prioritise multiple matters and responsibilities whilst meeting internal and external timelines.
- Someone who can “hit the ground running”, including being comfortable and able to lead matters with minimal supervision where appropriate.
- Someone who is personable with a good client manner and who enjoys working directly with a range of different clients.
- An enthusiastic and energetic team player that is able to delegate and supervise other members of the team where appropriate and that is willing to work on matters outside of their direct experience and day-to-day practice.
- Someone who is pro-active and uses their initiative on fee-earning and non-fee-earning work.
- A commitment to regularly update their own technical expertise and support the firm’s internal know-how on key areas of employment law.
- A willingness and ability to contribute to the firm’s business development activities and identify and develop business opportunities.
We pride ourselves in our entrepreneurial spirit and ability to give clear practical legal advice. All of our lawyers have direct dealings with our clients, and we encourage all of our lawyers to be involved in the marketing of the firm. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to grow the employment practice and help shape the future of the firm. We have recently won and been shortlisted for a variety of awards across the sport and legal sector, Sports Business Awards, Football Business Awards and The Lawyer Awards.
Our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion
At Onside Law, we understand the importance of ensuring and promoting equality, diversity and inclusion in everything we do and within the sporting and media communities we serve and in which we operate.
We believe that success is best achieved when teams are built around diversity of background, experience, thought, personality and opinion, without any discrimination, disrespect or unfair treatment.
Accordingly, we will operate a fair and open recruitment process, with careful consideration of assessment methods, to ensure that we are attracting a diverse field of candidates. We will also look to hire talent from as many backgrounds as possible, with equal opportunities for underrepresented groups in the legal profession (including individuals who are Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic, female, disabled, those with a long-term health condition, LGBT+, those educated at non-selective state schools and/or those from less privileged backgrounds). You can read more about out commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion on our website at the following link: https://www.onsidelaw.co.uk/equality-diversity-and-inclusion-policy/
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for this role, please apply to us by email addressed to email@example.com with a CV and covering letter which makes clear how you meet our requirements for the role. Closing date 25 November.
Direct applications only – no recruitment agencies.